Thursday, May 3, 2018

Ali Lawson Intercultural Competency


Blog Post 4 – Intercultural Competency: Getting Involved & Living Like a Local

The basic premise for this blog is: How do you plan to live in your host country, what will you do to integrate, how do you plan for this to help in your cultural transition?


While living with my host family in Cape Town, I will be making sure to engage with people in the family as well as people I work with. Since these will be the individuals that I interact with on a daily basis, it is very important that I learn from them about their customs, as well as suggestions they have for how I carry out my day-to-day routine in South Africa.

Like most things in college, research and studying is a key to success. During my first couple weeks there, I will be deliberately asking my colleagues questions about the surrounding city and culture. In addition to this, being hyper-observant of minor cultural differences will allow me to better understand the theme of where I am living for two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment