Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Emma the Emirati

Every time I've gone to a new school I've wanted to fit in and make friends. What's different this time is that I'm going to a new school in a foreign country where I won't know anyone, I'll stand out as a foreigner, and I'll face cultural adjustments. My goals are still the same, though. Since I'm STUDYING abroad, however, I want to learn about where I'm studying as well.

My game plan right now for being a friendly, outgoing student who gets along in life is to try to learn as much as I can about the people, culture, and area I'll be living in; keep an open mind; actively work on being out going and meeting people; find opportunities to get involved in campus activities.

For the first couple of weeks that I'm at The American University of Sharjah I will probably rely heavily on the international student program there until I get my bearings.

There are a lot of interest-oriented clubs on campus including an environmental club, which I will look into while I'm over there. There is also an Office of Sustainability that has been working to implement immediate steps to reduce campus dependency on electricity and water.

AUS has an athletic center that I want to check out. I don't know how being on an athletic team wold work out, but they have different training sessions in aerobics, swimming, table tennis, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment