Saturday, October 19, 2013

Stacey:Living like a Montevideana

     It’s official! La Universidad Católica del Uruguay accepted me as an ISEP exchange student! Apparently I’m the only one who is surprised, but I’ll take that as a compliment rather than a lack of enthusiasm. It’s magnificent news that brings me one step closer to my experience in Montevideo.

     Until now I've thought about my goals in going abroad, how I’ll adapt, and one (of hopefully many!) mini-trip. It’s time to think of the nitty-gritty details: what will life be like on a daily basis? How will I make sure that I get involved with the community, and not just float on the periphery of the culture? These are questions I can’t definitively answer, or guarantee have predictable answers, but I’m going to give it a try!
Something that is really important to me is that I don’t settle for living like an American tourist. If I wanted to live comfortably, live like “at home,” then why would I spend the effort traveling so far from home? I don’t mean to say that I want to feel alienated, marginalized, or crushingly “not at home” in Uruguay, but I think the discomfort of being immersed in a different culture is valuable. I also suspect that having always lived as an ethnic minority at home may help me out with those adjustments. If I can integrate myself  enough to empathize with Uruguayan perspectives, then I will begin to “live like a local.” I’m sure that there will be times when I turn to familiarity and comfort (having American/international friends, skipping out on eating beef, skyping too long), but a big point of this travel is to learn how to live differently!

     Arriving just before (South American) fall begins, I expect that the weather will still be warm enough to EXPLORE without my asthma getting in the way. I think this first step is crucial in finding local friends and building a space in my new environment. Maybe there will be a panadería near my home that I can go to for fresh bread, and get to know the people who work there. I’m staying with a host family, so I want to get to know them well – and I hope they have kids, because children tell the truth and are good at taking up all the attention. I've read other students’ blog posts about how friendly people can be, so maybe if I get the guts to talk to (trustable) strangers on the beach or around town, I can have insightful conversations. I’m also still heavily considering buying a bicycle so that I can explore larger areas, and have some reflection time to myself with the wind in my hair! I’m hoping that by the time winter comes, I will have put down some roots and made enough friends that I won’t have to stretch myself so, so far everyday looking for connections (I am pretty introverted, after all).   

     I think that using school activities will also be a good way for me to get involved. During the fall semester, the university offers workshops in parkour (seriously!), yoga, dance and pop choreography, and photography. Student workshops would be, obviously, full of students and potential friends. Does that sound desperate? Well, maybe I’ll have to be more eager to make friends than I’m naturally inclined… Adjustments! Also, I've read that if people will often invite others to their homes to drink mate and hang out, if they feel comfortable enough with that person. As long as I feel secure, I will not turn down that offer! I’m really looking forward to drinking mate with friends. My program also incorporates a community service element that I think will really help me to experience true Uruguayan ways of life. Plus, as a Bonner Scholar, I think just the routine of volunteering could feel like home.


     It is so crazy for me to think of my future routine, but I have to say that what’s more unbelievable is that these thoughts aren't just in my imagination. If all goes as planned, I will be living in Montevideo in less than 5 months..!


1 comment:

  1. Good research! I like the plan to meet people in workshops. That way you will find others who want to DO things in the local culture too!

    ReplyDelete