Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Rachel: A Day Away in Norway



A Day Away in Norway


           What originally attracted me to Norway was pictures of the Northern Lights.  When I saw those
beautiful, intense colors in the sky, my first thought was I HAVE to go!  Well what better time to go than when all I've got between Norway and I is the North Sea.  It would not only be a once-in-a-lifetime experience to see these lights and other parts of Europe, but to also get the experience in student traveling, staying in hostels, and budgeting my own mini-vacation.  Upon researching the top 10 tourist attractions, I found many affordable, fun activities to do on a weekend.  The Norwegian Museum of Science and Technology, Whale Watching tours, The Viking Ship museum, and The Norwegian National Opera and Ballet.  Although I doubt I could afford or have time to go to all of these attractions in one weekend, I would pick my top two or three most reasonably priced to keep the trip as inexpensive as possible.  Below is a tentative itinerary and plan for my Norwegian get away.  The way most tourists do their "Norwegian Experience" is by booking package deals.  There are Groupons and travel companies that arrange Northern Light Tour Packages that include flight, stay, and the tour for a weekend.  I would probably end up finding a great package deal by intense researching, but I also looked up some separate costs and listed them below.


Flight:
Norwegian Flights
72.80 EUR round-trip
www.norwegian.com

Hostel:
Oslo Youth Hostel Haraldsheim
Bed in Female Dorm
Breakfast Buffet included
male/female rooms (not coed)
32.49 EUR (per night, per bed)
http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Oslo-Haraldsheim-042001.en.htm

Meals:
Breakfast- included in hostel
Lunch- street vendors/ quick, cheap meals
Dinner- affordable restaurants

Travel:
If possible, walk to most attractions.  If too far, then get a cab there.

Tours:
Northern Lights/ Whale Watching- package deals
Museums/ tourist attractions- entry fee

Tentative Intinerary
Friday:
Morning- travel to the airport, fly to Oslo, Norway 
Afternoon- arrive, check into hostel, unpack
Night- Northern Lights Tour, stay in hostel

Saturday:
Morning- wake up, eat breakfast at hostel, tour the city
Afternoon- shop, tourist attractions (museums, etc.)
Night- see the night life, stay at hostel

Sunday:
Morning- check out of hostel, get breakfast, travel to airport
Afternoon- flight back to Edinburgh

This weekend trip for 2 nights would be around $200 for flight, stay, and meals alone.  I would need to set aside more money for the tours, museums, attractions, shopping, etc.  This trip, including the works,  would need to be considered my one "big get away," and keep other smaller trips than can be taken by train and very inexpensive sight-seeing for other weekends.

NORTHERN LIGHTS







WHALE WATCHING






ALL IMAGES ARE GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCHES: Norway Northern Lights, Norway Whale Watching   www.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment