Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Viviendo como una Argentina

Taylor King
Blog Post 5
Viviendo como una Argentina!

I want to get involved in some volunteer programs near the school but I am not positive on any specific ones as to right now that would be the best fit for me.  I would love to find a church there to assist in a volunteer way while taking classes as well as help out in the local jardin de Botanico in Buenos Aires.  It is a small garden but is a touristy part of the city since it is an all green part of the city.  I have had seven years of experience in working with flowers at Iris City Nursery and would love to volunteer at the Botanico garden to see how Argentinian plants differ from plants in the US.  One of my main goals while abroad is to find study groups on campus to join.  I love the way that Maryville has set up tutor sessions every week for each class.  I plan to either join, or start my own tutor/study session while in Argentina in order to stay up to par with my classes and work that my professors will give me. 
The term, “living like a local” means to me that I will be fully immersed in that I will not know anyone who speaks English, I will be on my own to find my way around reading Spanish maps, put in situations where I might now understand the entire conversations, may have a hard time finding friends, as well as trying and adjusting to different foods that I will have to eat for four months.  All of these aspects might be difficult to overcome; however, they are all crucial and a huge part of why I want as well as need to travel abroad.  As a person who is studying the Spanish language, I want to be able to become fluent and adapt to different lifestyles so that I can be a better rounded person as Spanish major.  If I ever want to pursue becoming a translator, I will
have to get used to being put in different situations that I have to adapt to.  I can’t get any better practice for that than going abroad to be cultured. 
In what ways do you plan on fully immersing yourself into the various aspects of your host culture (to live like a local), both on campus and in the community?  I plan on traveling to Uruguay if possible on my fall break to get a better, broader idea of what Latin America is like and traveling with my friend there in Montevideo.  I also plan to travel the strip from north to south in Argentina after my school classes are over.  I hope to travel with either Ben or Stacey so that I will have a safe trip, however these plans are still in the “planning mode and are not official”.  To experience what it is like to be a local, I plan on buying my lunches at street vendors, and small local restaurants.  I don’t plan on eating out a lot but I am definitely going to hit up some of the smaller more local restaurants that offer the traditional Argentine food as well as the coffee shops in the morning for a shot of espresso!
It is optional to have either a host family or live on campus of Universidad de Salvador.  I plan on having a host family.  I plan making local friends by going to local art showings, wine tastings, joining a study group, going to the local park, joining any intermural or after school related groups that are of interest, as well as ?
I imagine that my day to day life will be very busy.  I do not like having nothing to do and imagine that being a full time student as well as a member of some groups/volunteer opportunities will take up a good chunk of my time there. I see myself making friends and going out at night as well in a larger group setting to clubs and dinner spots.
I hope to become more fluent in my language as well as more confident in starting conversations. The goal I want to reach is to become a “local” in that I understand more about Latin American culture.


1 comment:

  1. Good ideas. Not sure if FORMAL study groups exist. That would be a great question for your coordinator. Also - facebook Jessi Scarborough. She studied at Salvador too. Good for "girl" perspective.

    ReplyDelete