Tuesday, October 15, 2013

One night (or several) in Phuket...

Phuket is breathtaking. Not just Florida Keys breathtaking, I'm talking they've shot James Bond movies here gorgeous. Phuket is a pretty popular tourist spot, but that's only because it ensnares the senses. It's awe-inspiring.

So clearly I have to visit this gorgeous city!

To begin, this cannot be stressed enough. EVERYTHING IS SO CHEAP IN THAILAND. 

There is a hostel called Hostel Phuket Karon Beach that is rated 3 stars, 10 minute walk from the beach, located very close to restaurants and nightlife all for 350 Baht a night, which is....$10!!
LINK:  http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostel057059.en.htm#tabs=2

It only costs $10 a night to stay at this place. That's almost comically too cheap to be true.
But anyways, as for traveling, there are a few options to get down there. The most convenient is a plane, which ticket prices are about 2,000 Baht which is roughly $70, which isn't bad and may be an option depending on if I go with a group and they can afford it. And the plane ride is only an hour long, as opposed to a bus or the train which takes about 12 hours.

So as for things, there is an endless list of options. As I mentioned briefly, there is an incredible nightlife (shows, clubs, cabaret) which would be a great break from school. As well, there are numerous important and auspicious Buddhist temples on the island which would be fantastic for me. Even more so, the nature is gorgeous and most of the island is still covered by vast amounts of wildlife and forests, so it would be great to experience that side of Thailand.
LINK: http://www.phuket.com/island/10mustsee.htm

I suppose my itinerary would look like this:
FRIDAY:
7:30 - flight leaves for Phuket
9:00 - arrive in Phuket and check in to hostel
10:00 - grab some food at an awesome restaurant nearby
12:00 - go to beach and be lazy
 5:00 - go to another awesome restaurant and grab more awesome food
7:00 - go out on the town and check out nightlife of some sort.

SATURDAY:
9:00 - Wake up and get ready for the day's trek
10:00 - travel around Phuket via tuk-tuk/taxi/rented scooter
              visit the "Golden Buddha"
              visit temples such as Wat Chalong

SUNDAY
7:30 - fly back to Bangkok


All in all, I think this trip is pretty do-able. If I budget accordingly, I think I can do this trip for roughly $200.

And I mean, look at these pictures, how can I NOT go these places?







No comments:

Post a Comment