Wednesday, March 12, 2014

#2 A Southerner in Northern Ireland

I've found that I'm very adaptable in social situations, both within my culture and outside it. I am rarely made uncomfortable by any situation, regardless of how foreign it is. Even if I am uncomfortable to begin with, the feeling rarely lasts long. I love new experiences, and relish meeting new people. I have a mild disposition, so I don't come on too strong, though I don't know exactly the Irish cultural norms. I doubt they are very different in the UK to the social customs of the United States compared to some other places. I have a very open mind when it comes to cultural differences, and I usually handle myself well. I have family all over the United States, and spend a lot of time in both the south and New England, which are very different areas socially speaking.
I also work at a summer camp that hosts staff from over 20 countries from around the world. I have learned a lot about the nuances of both my culture and various others from the friends I've made at camp. It's interesting to learn about what we take for granted as being a social norm being different for other countries. I hope to convey to the people of my host country personal aspects about myself rather than generalizations about Americans. I feel that I'm a pretty average American, but I don't think that my personality should speak to the entirely of the people of this country. I am laid back, dedicated, artistic, and caring--and that is all I care that people know. As an ambassador to Ireland, I want to convey a good representation of Maryville College and my country, but I hope that people will see me as an individual rather than a stereotype.
When dealing with new experiences, I am very open and I never make snap judgements about people or their cultures. I think it's important to get to know people outside of the stereotype and personal customs of their country. Ultimately, we're all human and experience the same drives and fears; I like to know the person rather than get hung up on our cultural differences. I'm generally good at picking up social cues and adapting to the different ways people communicate. I also love to get involved in as many activities as I can, a rather American trait that I have. Being open and participating can go a long way toward people opening up to you in return. I always do my best to be friendly and act interested in new people. All in all, I'm very open and excited in new situations, and I am very excited to learn about a new culture, meet new people, and become at least partially immersed in a new world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment