Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A small town farmer's daughter traveling abroad...Yikes!

I am not scared nor nervous about encountering a different culture; when you are in the military each state and nearly every country is represented in the U.S. Navy.  There were different languages, religions, daily practices, etc. that I encountered on a daily basis.  What does scare me though are my disabilities and traveling away from my comfort zone where doctor's know me and I know their medicinal practices.  I know my anxiety will be high trying to be on time everywhere and I would like to say I will be great in that situation but truth is I won't know until I am in it.  And what happens if I have to go to the hospital...do they know what a neurostimulator is and how it affects me?  Most people in the U.S. don't have a clue.  I am so comfortable around new people and love to actually listen to them that none of that side worries me.  Mostly, I am just freaked out about the medicinal practices and technology available in case I need reprogramming.

Again, I am not worried about how I will react to something/someone new and different, I am worried how they will react to me.  It is hard enough being my age with all of the complications I have and getting confused looks from others so I really hope to not encounter it in Scotland.  For once I would like to be Jessica; not just an American, disabled person or any other "lable" used.  The golden rule was installed in my head since before I was even born (my parents are good like that!) so I understand if that every word and action has a meaning and those meanings better reflect how you want to be treated.

No comments:

Post a Comment