Wednesday, March 12, 2014

An American in Germany -- A Brand New Experience

There is something terrible about going abroad as an American. It seems like the stereotypes follow you around wherever you go, regardless of what part of the States you may be from. We're loud, we're rude, and we're selfish. All of our relationships are superficial. We never have enough time. However strong the relationship with the country, we always seem to receive an awful label. I will have to face this head-on when I venture out of the States for the first time, and, although I don't see myself as loud or rude or superficial (though I may be a little selfish and I am constantly overscheduled), I am wary of the way I will be seen to represent my country.

No, I am nowhere close to being a true patriot. Honestly, I'm too lazy and indifferent to even bother with the more honorable acts of patriotism, but I do love the USA, and I adore the South. The South, unfortunately, has a slew of stereotypes all on its own, which I know I will eventually have to fight. I don't have the Southern Drawl (which is astounding, considering my Appalachian upbringing) and I hate grits and, no, I don't wander around town without shoes. I can guarantee you that someone will eventually ask me every last one of those questions, but I'm ready. I'm used to those stereotypes by now.

Thankfully, I'm well equipped to combat most of the stereotypes presented. I'm an incredibly private person, and I value close relationships over gigantic friend circles. I'm not loud and I was raised to be polite. The low culture context that I base myself in is well-suited for Germany, so I can't say that I'm terribly concerned regarding my fitting in.

The biggest issue I will face is my loathing for asking for help. Whether or not that's a decidedly American trait, I can't say, but I was raised self-sufficient and I fully intend to stay that way. I would rather spend an hour researching than question a passer-by. Eventually, I have to get over that. There is no way that I will figure out the cursed Bahn system if I don't ask someone. I don't have a choice but to grin and bear it.

As I mentioned before, I do like close-knit relationships. I'll have to let this notion go upon arrival. In a study abroad program, the more friends you have, the better. Undoubtedly, I'll eventually need a support group, and the more personalities I can ask input from, the more likely I am to feel at home. Moreover, making a large group of friends will allow me to combat the stereotypes head-on. Even if it's just one voice, my voice, it's enough to make a change.

In the end, the thing that I will commit myself to the most is trying. It'll be hard, yes. And sometimes I will want to go home. And sometimes I'll want to be an obnoxious, rude American. But I won't. I'm going to strive to fit neatly into the German culture and, if not, well, that's okay to. It's all about the journey, dear readers, not the end result.

Until next time, ja ne!
- Felicity

No comments:

Post a Comment