Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Studying Abroad in Greece



I have been accepted to go to the American School of Thessaloniki in Greece, taking two summer courses about ancient Greek lives and art. I want to do so many different, exciting things while I am in Thessaloniki for the summer; however, it is going to be difficult to put my mind into a tourist-like mindset. My entire family is from Greece, and there have been so many things I have been able to experience since I go to Greece every summer, from the time I was months old. My main goal is to do many of the touristy things I would not normally go out and do. Of course I’ll want to focus a great deal on the courses I’ll be taking at the University, but I would love to visit the archeological sites and art museums in Greece’s second largest city; too many, that may sound like a horrendous time to spend your day in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, but I am a nerd at heart and love visiting historical sites and learning as much as I possibly can. Don’t get me wrong, I still want to go out and experience the nightlife, something I could never do while visiting family during my summers in Greece, and spend my weekends at the beach.
            Even though there is so much to experience in this city, I am absolutely terrified to be going to a school in a different country. I feel more comfortable because I know the language and customs; however, I have never taken classes in Greek before or been by myself in a different country. I’ve always been with friends or family anytime I’ve been traveling. I have flown on many planes without anyone, but I have not found myself in any part of the world with only myself. It is an incredibly terrifying and exhilarating feeling.

            So while I have this newfound freedom, I want to do many things when I eventually go and spend 4 weeks in Thessaloniki. I want to make as many friends as possible while I am in a very different place than Maryville, TN. I also would love to be able to make as many connections with professors for future opportunities that may arise such as different career paths. However, my main goal, the thing that would maximize my experience, is taking in everything that a completely different city such as Thessaloniki has to offer. I feel as though I’ll be able to get out of my comfort-zone, something I started focusing on when I came to Maryville College, while I am in Thessaloniki and be able to take every opportunity that comes my way. I see so many international students that come to Maryville College and have an incredible time. That is my goal for this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment