Wednesday, February 19, 2014

One Step at A Time...

What do I want from my experience?
Hmm. Well of course I want to have an amazing time overall.  I want to have tons of fun and make friends with people from all over the world, so that when I have another opportunity to travel, I will already have global connections.   I want to experience a new cultural and try mass quantities of delicious foods.  I also want to learn.  Last Spring, I changed my major to International Studies from Neuroscience.  I know huge change!  I have always known that I wanted to be in a profession that allows me to help and work hands on with people.  I finally decided that I truly want to focus on human rights and social justice issues, and what better way than to study problems being faced around the world.  This realization has had a huge influence on my choice of program.  This summer I will be in South Africa, studying Human Rights at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University.  I honestly cannot believe I have be given this opportunity.  This program will provide a glimpse into the social and legal world of South Africa's citizens.  I hope to gain useful knowledge and skills that I can bring home with me, and incorporate into my personal and professional life. This opportunity is getting me one step closer to reaching my dreams.

My thoughts and feelings about my journey.
At the beginning of this process, I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of great opportunities available.  In fact, I wanted to do them all, but everyone knows that isn't possible.  I finally narrowed it down between two programs: 1. Belgium and 2. Costa Rica.  However, just as I was about to apply, I came across the Human Rights program in South Africa.  Initially, I thought to myself this is too good to be true, and I was ready to find the catch!  But to my surprise, there was no catch.  Actually, it was perfect: a new exciting WARM place, a perfect academic program, and the cost was reasonable.  So now here I am, rushing to make sure each and every step/document is complete, so that hopefully everything will go smoothly.  I am completely excited to begin my new voyage and kind of terrified all at the same time.  I know this will be an amazing adventure, and I constantly remind myself that different is a good thing.  After all, I think the point of traveling abroad is to experience new and different things.  In all honesty I am completely excited, terrified, and overwhelmed at the same time!

3 things I want to do to "maximize my experience"
1. I want to live with either an international student or a native student.  I believe this will enhance my experience by allowing me to make friends/connections with people from around the world.
2. I want to be forced out of my comfort zone because that will help me to grow as a person and also lead to further discovering who I am as a person.
3. Most importantly, I want to build relationships with my classmates and also the locals that I plan on doing service work with and for. 

And lastly,  I hope to have an experience of a lifetime!

Until next time,

Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment