Wednesday, February 19, 2014

First Post… To Ireland

Goals and Personal Agenda
            While studying abroad, I want to expand my personal horizons and also explore my artistic direction. One of the major reasons I wanted to go abroad, and to Belfast in particular, is so that I would be able to integrate more successfully into the design community. I want to see how design can be approached in different ways. I want to get out into the world and see what life and art can be outside of Tennessee in a more urban environment. I have worked with a lot of international people in my summer job, and I love being able to connect with people from other cultures. It's difficult to do that sometimes at Maryville, and I would love to get the outsider's perspective of that experience. I really want to just push myself as much as possible socially, academically, and artistically. 

            Feelings about impending journey
            I am nothing but excited about being able to go abroad. I have very few qualms about meeting new people and being pushed into new situations. I am comfortable with the social aspect, and everyone speaks English where I’m trying to go, so I’m not worried about that. I am nervous about getting accepted just because it’s not 100% yet. I can't wait to get my acceptance letter, though I know I will be one of the last ones in class to receive it. I’m also nervous about being able to pay for everything. I will definitely need to apply for scholarships and save up for this trip. I know a few people who went on the recent Celtic Connections trip, and they all told me how expensive living is in the UK. I am nervous about being able to pay… I think that's my biggest reservation in this scenario. I really want to be able to explore without reservation and be able to go out without having to constantly be worried about my finances. 

            3 Things I want to do to maximize my experience
            I want to make sure to get involved on the campus I go to. I don’t want to end up just lazing around and missing out on any opportunities I might have. I want to meet people, and explore, and learn about the culture.
            I will definitely do research before leaving for Ireland because the cultural and religious environment is very different from what I’m used to, especially in Belfast. I want to be up to date with the issues.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment