Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Blog 1: Goals

           I am so excited to study abroad this summer! I plan to go to Scotland for four weeks to take a course about nursing and the healthcare system there. I have never studied abroad before, or been out of the country, or even been on a plane. Honestly, at this point the plane is what I worry most about! But I also have some fears concerning simply trying to make my way in a completely different place, and finding out how to focus on my studies in the midst of it. I look forward to growing as a person and learning everything I can about Scotland and its culture. I wish I had a better story about how I became interested in Scotland - I love to read, and just got really attached to it because it provided the setting for some books I hold near and dear.
           I have always wanted to travel, and my goals for this trip include gaining experience in the art of traveling, learning about a new culture, meeting interesting people that I can learn from, and also getting knowledge from the course I plan to take about going into healthcare as a career. I want to expand my horizons! I feel like the more places I go, courses I take, and experiences I have, the closer I get to being able to figure out what I want to do with my life and what exactly it is that I have to offer.
          Currently, my main strategy for maximizing my experience in Scotland is to prepare as much as possible, so that when I get there I know exactly what I want to get out of my trip and how I will go about it. Also, I want to make sure that when I am there, I always maintain a mindset that will encourage me to take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way. In addition, I think that it will be important for me to find a healthy balance between going out and experiencing the culture, and staying in to focus on my coursework.

No comments:

Post a Comment