Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Feb. 19, 2014 - On why I want to travel and what I want to do!

What do I want to accomplish, or, why do I want to study abroad?
I have always wanted to travel, particularly to the United Kingdom. My great-grandfather was from England and moved to Wales after WWI, where he met my great-grandmother. My grandmother lived in Cardiff until she moved to America with my grandfather. I was always very interested in this region and hoped to visit my family who still live there - plus, it's absolutely beautiful!
Two summers ago I went to Scotland with the MC Concert Choir. We sang in Iona Abbey and the St. Giles Cathedral, and we stayed in a hotel built in the 1600's (yes, it was very spooky). We visited several castles, where I realized that they are way cooler in person than I could have ever imagined (and it's not like I was expecting anything less than stellar).
This trip was right around the point in time where I decided I wanted to study history rather than psychology - a decision I am still quite happy with. I thought of how incredible it would be to visit England, Wales, and Ireland and to go back to Scotland. Then I thought that it would be even better to stay for an extended period of time while I experience the area and study my favorite subject. As it turns out, this school offers some really great history classes that are very relevant to my senior thesis that I would really love to take. They offer a class on America in WWII. I've taken a class here on Europe in the 20th century, where we focused a great deal on WWII. How awesome would it be to take a class in Europe on America during the same time period??
Of course, I also want to make friends and generally have a good time - experience life in another country! And England seems like it'd be a perfect fit.

My feelings on the journey
I'm nervous, of course, about being officially accepted. If I am accepted, after jumping for joy, I'll be concerned about travel logistics, saving money, and making sure I know what to expect and what to do once I get there.

3 things to maximize my experience
1. Castles!!! I am planning on doing heavy research well before leaving on the castles in the area. I'll make a list of the ones near by and the ones that are a bit farther away and figure out how to visit as many castles as possible. I'd like to know a bit more about them before going inside, as well, so I can learn even more.
2. Keep in touch with my family in the area. I hope to visit with them as much as possible! Plus, they'd know where some interesting sites to visit are that I might not otherwise find!
3. Find a church in the area. I'd love to visit the Church of England - there's an experience I'd never have in America! I'd also really love to visit the oldest churches in the area. After visiting as many different churches as is reasonably convenient, I'd continue to attend whichever one I like the best. I love going to church, and it is something that would help keep me grounded while I'm so far from home.
4. One more thing - I'd have to make a brilliant playlist for a trip like this!


No comments:

Post a Comment