Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Goal Setting & Maximizing Your Experience

What do I want to accomplish?
-I am going to Australia and New Zeland to study not only the rainforest ecosystem, but also how modern day society interacts with this rare ecosystem. I have been studying facts and figures in environmental issues since day one at Maryville College, and I decided it was time to get out in the field and experience hands on what I have been learning. I want to get away from the life I have now, and experience something that I have never done before. I am excited to be a new student in a place that no one knows me. I know this will help me become more of an independent person. This trip is more than just learning about rainforest conservation, it is also an opportunity for me to go out into the world that I have seen little of. I want to accomplish three things. 1) Growing as a student and a person. I want to get out of my comfort zone. 2) Start a life time of traveling. It is a desire and a goal for me to always travel and experience beyond what I know. 3) Having experience when I get back that will open more doors for me after my time at Maryville is over.

Feelings towards my journey?
-My feelings are mixed together. I am so excited that I got accepted to study this summer across the world. I look at pictures, I reread classes I am going to take, and I am pumped about all of the field time that I will have while I am there. I think I have squealed every time I reread and look at stuff about the program. I have many fears as well. I am terrified about the plane ride. I am a terrible flyer. I will also be alone while I fly, which will only make it worse. I am scared going into a country where I will know no one. I am worried about my baggage being lost. I am uneasy about not adjusting to new surroundings and a new schedule. I know it will be a huge culture shock to me being away from wifi, cell phone, and my friends and family. All these fears, I feel like, will disappear once I get settled and situated with my other classmates and teachers. I know fear holds a lot of people back from doing what they want, and I do not want to regret letting fear hold me back. So as the departure date approaches, I know I will be having small panic attacks, but I know it will be all worth it once I am there. I cannot wait to be out in the field getting hands on experience. I cannot wait to look back on the friends I made, the places I saw, and the lifelong memories that will never go away.

3 Things you want to do to maximize your experience?
-1) Get over the fact I will not have a cell phone. This is embarrassing, but I know that will be the first thing that I will miss. I am constantly around social media and texting. I want to get out of the mind set that I need to talk to my family and friends. I do not need to be relying on a device to help me cope with a new environment. The great thing about this program is we will be so deep in the rainforest, I will not be able to get service or wifi. So I will have more time to get to know the other students and make deeper connections without my phone. 2) To focus on the work and experience. I know I am going to new countries and going to see thousands of things I have never seen before, but I must focus on the work and experience. I want to remember everything I will learn and see. I am going to take notes, pictures, and take what I learned back to my everyday life. 3) Have fun. I want to make friendships, memories, and accomplishments that I never thought I would. I want to push myself, and then get rewarded with a brighter future. Overall, I am there to learn and have the time of my life. I honestly cannot wait.

What do I want to learn: before I go, while I am there, and when I get back?
-I want to learn tips on how to adjust to a new schedule and world. I am excited about this class because I can express everything I am feeling with other people who are going through it too. While I am there I want to learn every single thing I can. As cheesy as that sounds, I want to absorb everything. When I get back I want to share and apply what I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment