Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Meandering Paths: The Beginning of a New Journey

The anxiety, the nerves, the annoyance, the excitement: it all begins anew with the prospect of going abroad.

It's interesting--isn't it?--, how leaving this country and venturing to another sounds like a ton of fun until the deadlines creep out of the shadows. Deadlines are the looming giants that scare me into second-guessing myself, into believing that maybe I don't want to go abroad, or worse, that I never did. At the same time, though, there's something terribly exciting about the challenge of uncertainty. It's another barrier to break through and a brand new path to take. That in itself should be enough encouragement to purchase that ticket and climb onto the plane.

But it's not.

Don't misunderstand, reader. I love the notion of adventure, but it isn't something that I actively search for. I find adventure in the pages of books, in the languages that wrap around me like warm, comforting blankets. The thought of going to those distant lands? I really don't know how I feel about it.

I shouldn't be so apprehensive. I've been through this process once, though it was never fruitful because of some unexpected drawbacks. I've filled out the applications, I opened the acceptance letter, and I completed the predeparture classes. Was it enough to feel prepared? No. There is nothing that truly prepares you for that first step off the plane. There is not a single person on this Earth who can perfectly describe that first breath of air or the feeling of being lost in this vast world we live in. 

But that's okay. Sometimes you don't need words to understand that everything will be okay. And everything will be just fine, reader. I'm certain of that.

The question remains, "Why are you going in the first place?"

Why am I going to Heidelberg? Fascinating question, that. The first answer that comes to mind is that I have to. A German minor requires me to spend some time abroad. However, that isn't the clear cut answer you're looking for, is it? There has to be something more, right? I can't be so dedicated that I would go just for the sake of education alone.

I would. I am that type of person. But you're right, reader. There are other reasons for me going abroad.

I want to get lost. I want to wander foreign streets and speak this language that I hold dear. Meeting new people, learning about their lives, making lasting connections: little things that have become clear cut goals.=

At some point, I want to travel this world, especially the beauty that is Europe. If I can't take that first step to the first country, how on Earth will I ever be able to cross every border that I ever dreamed of?

Those goals are abstract, I know, but the primary one is this: step outside my comfort zone. Why? Because I honestly don't do it enough.

With all of that being said, I have spent half an hour now staring into a cup of Greek yogurt as if it has all of my answers for me. As if this little cup of dairy can tell me what my goals should be, right? In this moment of protein-filled thought, I have come up with a handful of goals that I want to see accomplished while I'm in Germany. 

1.) Try a new, traditional dish every single day
2.) Create at least one lasting friendship
3.) Feel comfortable enough speaking German to talk with anyone on the street
4.) Figure out the Bahnhof
5.) Never waste a single moment on worrying--there's only time for fun!

Until next time, reader, take care! 

Ciao!
- Felicity





No comments:

Post a Comment