Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Thoughts before studying abroad: Post 1

Hey! SO, I've never traveled outside of the US, or without friends or family so this is a very new/exciting experience for me!! 

What do I want to accomplish while studying abroad? 

      I want to accomplish having an unforgettable experience, taking advantage of my experience, and meeting new people. I also want to help someone while there, whether it be giving them money, or teaching them something new. I also want to accomplish getting involved with the natives, and improving my Spanish. 

How do I feel about studying abroad?

     Oh wow! Well, I am very excited but also extremely nervous! I'm excited because I plan to see some of the international students I have met while I have been at MC. I am also excited to just have the experience to travel abroad. I am nervous about being seen as "a typical American" due to my distinct southern accent getting in the way, and just about stereotypes in general. I am also nervous about getting something stolen, or just doing something to offend someone. I am going to try my best to learn cultural norms and slang words. 


What are three things I want to do to maximize my experience? 

     That's easy- make friends, shop, and eat! ...Just kidding...
BUT, I do want to do those. I think to maximize my experience I'm going to:

1. Make a to-do list and try to do as many of those thins as I can. Example: Attend a One Direction concert in Barcelona or Madrid (yeah, they will be there!), visit most of the cities in the country, visit another country, make a new friend, make good grades, etc. 
2. I want to really get to know my host family and share things with them that make them want to visit the US, and hopefully get advice from them about where to travel and things to do. 
3. I definitely want to engage in the culture, and be as close to the internationals as I am here. I want to make this a learning experience I will never forget. I want it to be something I share with others and make them want to study abroad. I also want to be open minded and thankful for everything while over seas. 

That's all for now. See ya! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment