Friday, February 21, 2014

Post #1: Goals

Goals and Personal Agenda:
-While I am studying abroad in Australia, there are several goals that I want to accomplish that range from academic to adventurous. Obviously, academics are the most important aspect of studying abroad. Since my major focuses on learning about other countries and cultures, the best way to do that is to experience it for myself. Another goal of mine is to be an active member of the community. Volunteering has been a significant part of my life for as long as I can remember, so I plan on getting involved by giving back and helping others as much as I can when I get to Australia. Also, I want to explore the diverse Aussie environment. That includes snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, venturing out to Australia's outback, and getting lost in the thriving cities of Sydney and Melbourne. I hope to make a lot of friends in Australia.

Feelings About Studying Abroad
-I feel very confident that I will be able to be successful when I go abroad. I am so excited about this wonderful opportunity. I'm not too nervous about the trip since I have already traveled abroad without knowing anybody and being told to navigate through major cities in Europe. One thing I am nervous about is being able to pick up on the slang words and phrases. I mean, I know they speak English in Australia too, but with all the different terms they use, I know it will take some time to understand what people are talking about. 

3 Things to Maximize the Experience
 1) Take lots of pictures. I love photographing everything (except for selfies). 
 2) Try out all the different types of food. I am a huge foodie! I just love love love food! I am willing to try anything new, especially food. 
 3) As I mentioned before, I love to volunteer and help out in whatever way I can. Getting involved is one way that I feel comfortable when I go to a new place. It is a great way to meet new people and it gives me that warm feeling of knowing that I am helping other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment