Wednesday, March 12, 2014

An American Abroad in Australia and New Zealand

New Culture or First Long-term Experience Abroad:
-The strengths that I have for adapting to a new culture mainly include how my personality is. When I am in a crowd of new people, I start to socialize really quickly to gain a perspective of the different personalities and start conversations to get to know people. I like to be upfront with people about questions I have, if I need help, and reaching out to start new friendships. I am adaptable to new situations, food, ideas, and how people live. I can be spontaneous when it comes to unplanned adventures and fun activities, and I enjoy having some free time to get to know the people I am with. I am very open to communicating when I need help, I enjoy group work, I am organized on time and when stuff needs to get done, and I am up for learning about different views other than my own. 
-The challenges I will face will probably be homesickness and organization. I am not comfortable with traveling alone. It actually terrifies me. I am also worried the information for plane schedules, taxis, and being in a new area will intimidate and scare me. I worry about my luggage being lost, not having the materials I need, or being lost in a group of people I cannot connect with. I know I will miss home a lot, and I will not have any cell phone or wifi for the whole time I am abroad. So that will be a shock to me. Another issue is organization. I become irritated if things are not on a schedule and going the way they were planned. I am okay with being flexible, but too much freedom and flexibility will cause me to go crazy. I am a very organized person. I need to know the details of everything I do that is important. I also like things to be on time and scheduled for what they were originally planned for. 
-I think I will have to communicate with the teachers, students, and advisors about organization. I do not need to be afraid to ask the questions that I need to know. Be open to new plans, even if it makes my eye twitch and my head pound. Stay positive and flexible. I am only in these countries for a short time. I do not want my time to consist of stress and annoyance. I just need to adapt to the new culture and surroundings. With the travel, just make sure I stay on top of everything. There is not really anything I can do about delays or weather. I just need to stay focused when traveling alone. And I will see my family and friends again so I should not be too discouraged.
-I want to show the people I meet that not all Americans fit the stereotype. Yes I love being on a schedule, but I also love making friendships and connections. I am not loud, rude, overbearing, obsessed with freedom, or selfish. I want people to get to know me for who I am, not where I come from. Breaking stereotypes can be hard, but worth the rewards. 
Returning to a Familiar Culture
-I want to learn everything I possibly can about the life and cultures of Australia and New Zealand. I am open for new food, adventures, field time, and interacting with the locals. I am in their countries to live and experience what they call home. I also want to be an ambassador for America, and show them a different view of Americans they might not know. I want to go head first into a new culture and a new routine. I know it might be strange at first, but I am so ready to get on that plane. I have yet to learn what it is like to study abroad alone. This will be my first trip by myself to a new place where I know nobody. But I know when I get there, I will meet people who will meet me with open arms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment