Monday, September 14, 2015

Fear and Faith


       

         Going abroad has always seemed like such a faraway thought for me, no matter how badly I wanted to go as a child. I was always told that the journey would be hard, tough, and at times, “You’re too tender hearted and sensitive Are you sure?” Well, now the tables have turned, and my mother is the one crying while I check flight prices thrice a week. My father has become more serious, and my siblings just want souvenirs. I would have never thought that I could have the opportunity to travel abroad, never mind study, but I do. That thought alone has, on occasion, terrified me.



          However, as many know, I’m always well planned, a bit of a control freak, and kind to a fault. I want to go for reasons other than fun. My main purpose isn't to have a good time. It will play in, no doubt: I’m headed to the land of the rising sun. However, I have goals, business goals that I won’t let anything get in the way of, not even my own excitement. In my agenda, I have four bullet points.

Things Arieal Shall Do While Abroad:

·        Make a leather-bound Travel Journal
·         Go to church
·         Be changed
·         Intern/shadow businessmen


          Now, I don’t know about you, but if I can do that, I’ll be completely satisfied. I can come home and not cry. But if I can’t do those things, then why did I leave America in the first place? I want a journal of hand pasted pictures and quotes; I want to have some spiritual healing, immortalize my memories and meet a business man! It may sound like a weird list to anyone else and I’ve decided something: that’s perfectly fine. This is my list. It applies to me. These are the things I value and consider important: education and intelligence. I have another list of course. I want to practice martial arts, become a temporary redhead, and, of course, eat all the foods! These are my personal goals, things that come to be fulfill on an empty day, or as a reward for working hard. These are the fun things that will happen probably by accident, knowing myself.

Have Some Fun!!

·        Take a Culture Class [Tea ceremony/Hapkido Martial Arts]
·        Find [and eat] something I hate…if possible.
·        Hike a trail
·        Do something crazy to my hair
·        Visit the winter ocean [But no swimming!]
·         Sing at the top of my lungs somewhere, somehow

“Don’t be afraid. Just have faith."
Mark 5:36

          I won’t lie; I can’t lie. I’m scared. Will I have all my papers? Will I remember my manners? The language? My school’s address? My shoes? All jokes aside, this is a daunting, but worthwhile task that I’ve decided upon for myself, and no matter how scared I get, I’m thrilled. I’m about to go to the foreign country of my dreams, and experience a whole new world. One day soon, I will wake up from a dream about the Daegu Floating Lantern festival, only to realize, “I get to see that, in person! Finally!” And you know whatno one will be able to ever take that away from meIt’s a powerful thought. It makes my head hurt and my vision swim, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment