Monday, September 14, 2015

Willkommen to Study Abroad

            Deciding to study abroad may have been one of the most difficult decisions of my life. I went back and forth all spring semester trying to decide because I knew I would be missing the last semester with my friends and graduation. Finally, after traveling Europe and stopping at TU-Dortmund in Germany, the university where I will be placed, I decided to apply. I waited until the last minute to apply (literally the day it was due), but I found out Saturday that I was completely accepted through the university and I am so excited for this opportunity. I am still a little sad that I’ll miss graduation and my last semester, but I wont get this chance again, so I’m obviously just going to have to live up my last semester at MC, so I can also live it up while abroad. 
            As for my goals while abroad, I hope to learn enough German to get around since I don’t really know any right now, but I’m working on it. Currently, I know only a few phrases like "Es ist gut" meaning "It is good" and "Ich bin eine Frau" meaning "I am a woman". On another note, I would really like to make great friends that will last. My friends that have already been abroad made lifelong friends during their semester, and I want to do the same. I think it may be a little difficult because I won’t be in classes with peers, but that means I’ll just have to work harder to put myself out there. I hope that by doing my student teaching abroad, I will make connections with other teachers to possibly get a teaching job there. I am excited to see the different teaching styles and add them to my “toolbox” as well.
            I am so excited to live in another country. When I was in high school, I caught the travel bug, and it has been a goal of mine to live in another country. I am also excited to have my own adventure. I have traveled a lot with family, friends, and school, but I haven’t really had my own experience. I want to see how this experience changes my perspective and attitudes.
            While in Germany, I want to travel to new places I haven’t seen as well as go back to the places I fell in love with.  I plan to keep a either a blog or a journal to record the things that happen, so I don’t forget even the minor details. Finally, I plan to be involved and engaged at the university and school where I will student teach in order to maximize my experience abroad. Hopefully all of these things will help me make the most out of my experience and make me love the country and living on my own.

            Throughout the semester, I’ll continue to post blogs about my preparation to go abroad, so stay tuned! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment