Sunday, September 13, 2015

My Goals Studying Abroad in France

I have wanted to study abroad in France for the longest time. I began learning French when I was nine, and fell in love with the language. I took French classes all throughout middle and high school, and love being able to speak and understand another language. The French language and culture are beautiful and I want to learn as much as possible while abroad.  Studying abroad in France will really give me the opportunity to relearn what I have forgotten since it has been a couple of years since I have taken a formal French class. My main goal for this experience is to become as proficient in French as I can possibly become.
            When I was in high school, I participated in a French Exchange program. I was paired with a student named Lauriane who lived near Paris. For the exchange, she came to live with me for two weeks in February and I went to live with her for two weeks in June. It was an incredible experience and I got to see what life was truly like in France for a typical French family. Lauriane and I are still good friends today and have visited each other since the first trip during our freshman year of high school. We Skype and Facebook each other regularly to keep in touch; she speaks to me in English while I speak to her in French. Another goal I have during my time abroad is to visit Lauriane and her family as much as possible and continue our friendship as well as create new lifelong friendships with the new people I meet.
            There are many aspects to study abroad that I am nervous about. Primarily, I am afraid that I will get there, forget how to speak French, and completely embarrass myself. I am also afraid that I will get lost trying to get around the city. I hope I can make many friends through clubs or classes that will help me navigate the city! While I’m in France, I want to visit other regions in the country. It would be amazing to visit the French Alps, Paris, Normandy, and other historical sites throughout the country.
            There is a lot of work that goes into studying abroad that I never knew about before. There are so many forms to sign, deadlines for paperwork, and scholarships to apply for! I really have to keep on top of everything so that I get everything done on time, but I know that it will all be worth it! I am so excited to get all of this work done and just be in France already!


Janelle Calhoun

No comments:

Post a Comment