Saturday, September 12, 2015

Forget about my comfort zone, I get to study abroad!

Argentina is a place I’m drawn to because of the beauty of the country as well as the culture and history of its inhabitants. I want to become fluent in Spanish and learn about Argentine culture - these are my most imperative goals. There are many places I want to go within Argentina; however, I want to venture outside of the country and visit places like Iguazu Falls.

As excited as I am about the opportunity to study in Argentina—I am so nervous about speaking Spanish once I arrive. You could say it’s stage fright. I know how badly I need to speak, so I’m very happy I’m taking two Spanish courses this semester (every Tuesday and Thursday I have 2 and a half hours straight of speaking Spanish). But my comfort zone is speaking Spanish in class, so I need to break free from that. I need to speak with Spanish speakers outside of class. I feel that if I can force myself to do that I will have an easier time breaking out of that once I am there. Forget about my comfort zone, I get to study abroad! That’s how I feel about it.

My first choice university offers free tango and salsa lessons as extracurricular activities - that's something I will do if I end up at La Universidad Catolica de Cordoba. I will learn the tango, and the salsa would be a major bonus. How could I go to a country known for the tango and not experience it myself?

I will make friends in class by asking them to show me a nice place to eat or study after class and inviting them to join me. I will see what other people my age are doing and join in. I want to see Argentine students’ side of Argentina. Through this I hope to find a friend willing to travel with me around the country (and hopefully a dance partner because, after all, it takes two to tango).

I enjoy spending time with my family, so I want to have that experience in Argentina. So as far as living situations, I have chosen to live with a family rather than in an apartment or dorm. I feel living with a family is the best way to soak up the culture and language.

There will be many upcoming blogs that will be loaded with information about my experiences before I leave as I learn about where I will be going, applying for a visa, and finishing applications.

¡Adios!

- Bethany Headrick


No comments:

Post a Comment