Monday, September 14, 2015

The Journey Ahead

The main goals I have for studying abroad really revolve around getting a great education and learning from people who have a variety of different backgrounds. I have taken Arabic courses before, but I have never had the opportunity to take Arabic courses and actually be able to practice Arabic upon leaving the classroom. I have also done readings about Middle Eastern politics and history on my own, but I have never been able to actually take a formal class on the subjects. I am very excited about the educational possibilities that exist with this study abroad semester.

I have traveled before and have spent time living in a Middle Eastern culture (Egypt). What I experienced there was certainly culture shock. I will certainly experience culture shock again when I travel to the United Arab Emirates this spring and prepare to spend an entire semester there. That being said, my biggest fear is not what will happen when I am studying abroad in the U.A.E. but what will happen to me when I return home to the United States. I have experienced such a great deal of difficulty upon my return from Egypt dealing with post-travel depression. It has been a struggle for me to go about living life in my daily return after seeing some conditions that people around the world are living in. Why do I have the benefit of living in such safety? Why am I so caught up in my American ways of doing things when there are so many people around the world who need help? I will certainly struggle with re-adjusting to American life when I get back, but I feel that I have enough people and support around me to make it through the difficult transition. As far as studying in the U.A.E. is concerned, I am very excited to meet so many new people, make lots of new friendships, and learn more than I could if I had not studied abroad.

Three things I want to do to maximize my experience are:
Get involved on campus in the U.A.E.
Make friends with both international students and domestic students
Keep in healthy contact with my friends and family back in the United States

I am hopeful that following this outline will make my study abroad experience a very successful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment