Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Getting Involved & Living Like a Local

     Living like a local in England will require making English friends, which is one of my goals! When I got my confirmation at the University of Essex, I was told I would be living in the North Towers, a residence hall in the center of campus where I will live in a "flat" with 13-16 other students.  I think this living style will be helpful in making friends and figuring out how I'm going to immerse myself in the culture.  While I will have my own bedroom, there are community kitchens and bathrooms.  The kitchen is a great place  to make friends and share culture, in my opinion.  Hopefully, my flatmates and I will be able to talk culture and food while we make our own meals-- something quite different to what I'm used to at MC.
     Right outside the North Towers, the Student Union at U of Essex organized a Street Market, so every Thursday, I'll be able to shop from local stalls selling everything from "freshly ground coffee and delicious cakes to vintage clothing and handmade jewelry," according to their website.  It also looks like they will have fresh produce, which will be great to have since I'll be cooking my own meals. The Student Union at Essex is award-winning and very active on campus.  Apparently, there are hundreds of clubs and societies to join and there are events every night of the week. Hopefully, that means I'll never run out of things to do. And with 16 potential roommates, I'll also-- with any luck-- have people willing to attend these events with me.
     My daily life will obviously include studying for my classes and I'll also continue to work on my senior study while abroad. However, I want to use locals as guides for the best pubs and fun things to do on the weekends.  I probably won't be able to travel out of Colchester every week, so knowing the how the locals have fun and where they like to go will be a must. I've heard English taxi drivers are a treasure-trove of information. Maybe I'll splurge on a taxi at some point so I can get a local driver to tell me where the best places to visit are, from a local's perspective-- or maybe that's just in London. Either way, it's on my "Things Hannah Should Do Whilst in England" list.
     Along the lines of getting involved and having fun things to do on campus, the University of Essex has an awesome arts program that includes theatre and music, so I'm planning on visiting some exhibits, seeing some plays and attending concerts when I can!
     My classes will be another way of making friends. I'm going to be in mostly creative writing classes, so I would love to meet friends through studying something that I really enjoy and am passionate about.
     I almost forgot about one of the best ways to meet friends-- orientation! It's literally a time designated to orient myself to this new environment, and I'll be meeting other students who are having the same experience as well as student leaders who can help with my transition.  At Maryville College, orientation was one of the best ways I made friends.  Hopefully, the same will  hold true at the University of Essex.
     So, I guess my main strategy is to talk to people, try to make friends, and experience as much of the local culture as possible through eating locally-- whether that's getting food from the market on Thursdays or grabbing a bite from the local pub-- or seeing the local sites-- such as the Colchester Zoo or some of the castle ruins nearby.
-Hannah S.

No comments:

Post a Comment