Tuesday, April 26, 2016

vocation goals

For this blog, please explain how studying abroad (at your chosen school, city, country, etc) contributes to your vocational goals.  Research ways you can be involved, or have a leadership role on campus or in your community abroad.  Please outline at least one thing that you will do consciously while abroad to help yourself take one step toward achieving your vocational or career goals and how it will help you. (eg. seeking out an internship, volunteering in your field, field research, taking a specific class)  What skills do you expect to gain that will help you in your future career?

I have always wanted to work abroad. This semester I have worked in the non-profit world with children and I believe that it may be my calling. I have found a few children oriented non-profits to possibly volunteer at while i am there. Children's Charity Onlus Italia is one of those. I really like their mission and hope to get involved. I will keep searching for more options and start to get in touch with them in the summer. My current internship takes up a lot of my time, so I do not want to be in that boat. Hopefully my course load will not be great. The classes I am taking will strengthen my academic core and my minor.  I am exciting to learn in a different style: on campus and off.

I really have a broad range of interests, which is awesome but also inhibiting when trying to decide a career path. I am trying to do many opportunities in different fields to narrow it down more. 

I want to be highly involved with my I-house in Milano. I see the fun people have at ours, and i feel that it will hopefully be the same in Italy. I can find clubs and off campus things to do through that. 

Overall, this will build me as a person. Taking this scary journey, a lone, to a country that does not  speak English takes guts that I don't have. I will became a more confident, self sufficient person (hopefully) and that will help me once college is over. 

I can predict some changes, and i certainly have goals, but i am also preparing for a lot of surprising opportunities. But i also am preparing for setbacks. If i don't get an internship: it is OK. If i can't take a elective class i think will better me: it is OK. This is all new, and hopefully will be good for the most part. I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment