Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Intercultural Competency: Getting Involved & Living Like a Local

        I have never experienced terrible cultural shock while broad. Sure, everything is different, but its all exciting. I know that this is only because the most i have stayed in one county for a period of time is around 3 weeks. After a  month I may come down from the initial high and have some real concerns.
     The majority of my friends will probably be from their international house and the classes i am in. I do not think I'll meet many locals without going out of my way to be involved. I want what i have heard in European stories: to walk down a sunny street and wave to all of my friends who own cute shops like bakery and cafes. I know that I will probably not see this be a reality, but its a stereotype i have that would be awfully cute. Meeting friends and being a local here are greatly different than it will be abroad. I will be completely alone when i get there. Yikes. I want to join clubs on the campus, but as an English speaker, that may be challenging. I would like to find a organization to intern or volunteer with, that would allow me to meet people i would not have met otherwise.
     Right now i am trying to remind myself to study the city before i go out of it for travel. I imagine that classes will take up a lot of my time. Also, getting to energy to be social. I will not make many friends if all i want to do is sit at home, i have to keep saying that to myself. Talking with people on the streets, at markets and at restaurants will help me adapt to the culture and small talk. Taking the metro and knowing the faces on my commute will change my comfort level.
    I am worried that I may not be able to communicate with friends and family as easily. I already do not talk to some of my family enough and it stresses me out. Knowing that, i will be more alert at handling it. It will be good to not be in constant contact with my U.S. people, i need to balance both Italy and the US people. I am already planning what i'll do there, but i also want to be relaxed about not stressing. I will have to balance my two communities, i am excited and up to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment