Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Vocation

For this blog, please explain how studying abroad (at your chosen school, city, country, etc) contributes to your vocational goals.  Research ways you can be involved, or have a leadership role on campus or in your community abroad.  Please outline at least one thing that you will do consciously while abroad to help yourself take one step toward achieving your vocational or career goals and how it will help you. (eg. seeking out an internship, volunteering in your field, field research, taking a specific class)  What skills do you expect to gain that will help you in your future career?

I chose Kansai Gaidai because it was the only one I would have the means to attend, however, through my time learning about the school I've noticed that many of its programs align with my goals. 
At Kansai Gaidai, there is a volunteer club that I plan to take part in. I do a LOT of volunteering in Maryville, and I plan to go into non-profit work after college. Volunteering in Japan is an experience I didn't expect to be able to have, and I'm thrilled to be able to continue giving back to others. This kind of experience i very valuable to me, as I am really interested in doing international non profit work.
I want to learn more about Japan, as I am intrigued by the history, language, and culture. All of the classes offered pertain to these things, and are taught so that I can understand them. By living in Japan for a semester, my language skills and cultural knowledge will improve and give me  valuable employable skills, especially for international non-profit work. By participating in the activities the volunteer club does, I will get to learn how volunteer work is done differently in Japan. I think it is important to know the differences in community service practices in different countries, so as to make international aid more efficient and effective.

Ray Cleavenger

No comments:

Post a Comment