Sunday, November 13, 2016

Becoming a part of the Dortmund community… living like a local

One of my fears about studying abroad is that I will let the time pass all the while being a tourist. It is important to me to feel like I can live like a local in Dortmund, Germany. From others who have studied there, I know there is a big group of international students who tend to hang around together at the University. I am so excited to meet people from all around the world, but I want to remember that I am in Dortmund and I want to become a part of that community.

My hope is that my internship at a German Elementary school will help me to live more like a local.  I will get to be immersed in school, which is a huge part of any culture. I would love to get involved with things outside of normal school hours. Hopefully I will be able to volunteer with after school activities and be a part of any and all events the school hosts. This will help me meet families and other individuals in the community.

In the description of the month long German language course I will attend, trips around the city are included. This month before school starts will give me time to get familiar with the city, learn how to use transportation, and more. The more comfortable I am with basics like transportation, the more I will get out and explore. I think this course will really help me get familiar with my surroundings and it will be an easy way for me to make friends.


It will be important for me to stay busy. When I get homesick I tend to hide out by myself and avoid interactions with people. But interactions with people make me happier, so its will be good for me to spend most of my time with others. I only need a short period of time to myself to reenergize. If I keep things scheduled and make plans, I will avoid that feeling of wanting to hide out.

No comments:

Post a Comment