Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Vivre Comme un Local: Living Like a Local

As a Writing and Communications major, and more importantly, as a person with a passion for writing, I find that the best way to preserve my experiences is to write about it. Not only does this help me remember the details of my life, but it helps me to cope with whatever the situation may be. It is absolutely essential that I have a journal and good pen when heading off to France for an entire semester. When I get back, I expect that the journal's pages will be worn with use and stuffed full of memories from my trip abroad. Already, I have an idea of the memories I will have written down. I have daydreamed entire situations that I will experience. Why? Because I am ready to live like a local!
I have already befriended a girl from another U.S. campus that will be studying abroad in Caen at the same time as me. Because we have both discussed our intentions to visit as many places as possible while abroad, we have agreed to travel together. Already, I am prepared to experience the French culture directly. Not only do I intend to learn about it, but I also intend to integrate myself into the culture. How, you ask? 
I want to capitalize on all the things France has to offer that the U.S. lacks. For instance, the food in France is more healthy for one's body and comes at a cheaper price than healthy food in America. I do not consider myself a foodie, but this is because I am not fond of the American dishes am exposed to. Also, the ability to buy healthy food cheaper will encourage me to prepare my own healthy meals. I am ready and willing to fall in love with food, be it French of otherwise. 
Also, the French prefer a small group of one or two trustworthy friends rather than a large mass of "friends". In America, it seems common enough that one person has a large group of friends, but I have never been that person. I am ready to build friendships based on intellectual conversation and an appreciation for differences and diversity. 
I will do this by getting as involved in the campus as I can. I hope to join a few clubs and hang out in local cafes. I have a love for coffee that can not be competed with, and so, I believe this love will transcend the culture difference and allow me to try new types of coffee in the numerous cafes in France. 
Although I am not a social butterfly, my interest in the French culture and my need to obtain a working knowledge of the French language will push me to converse with the locals. Already, I have come into contact with the father of two students currently studying at Caen in France. The father, a Frenchman, lives and works in Knoxville and has offered his daughters assistance managing life on campus. I am slowly establishing relationships that will be advantageous to me when I am studying abroad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment