Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The "Real" World


When I was about 8 years old, I decided that I wanted to live in Europe. I don't really know why I chose Europe, but it just seemed so magical: full of princes and princesses, cute little towns, trains and trains and more trains. A few years later my cousin moved to Egypt and I thought that it was the coolest thing in the world and wanted to do it, too. I spent my time travelling and learning french to prepare for my dream of living in Europe. In real life I won't move to Europe and fall in love with a wealthy young man and get married and never have to work. So, I'm doing it my own way: studying abroad, living like a local, and finding a job and a place to live and people that care about me that are 5,000 miles from my family. I used to be an International Studies major with hopes of working abroad with a nonprofit. Those classes were not my thing, so I decided to do school that I loved: theatre. And what am I going to do with a theatre major? I had no idea. But I have a dream to do theatre as a type of therapy abroad through non profit work. I will be involved with theatre through the University of Bern and hope to find a place to volunteer by working with children, possible at an after school program. By doing these two things I will be surrounded by a different theatre culture and grow in my understanding of child development in a place different from my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment