Wednesday, November 9, 2016

How to Live Live a Local

My past in traveling to Spain will give knowledge in living like a local-an important aspect of respecting and learning from the host culture. A couple of steps I would follow in order to become part of the host culture

1. Go where locals go: Tourist areas. They look enticing, and there is nothing inherently wrong. However, tourist areas tend to not give a very authentic view into the culture. The areas are often made simply to please tourists.

2. Eat like locals: "Go where locals go" can be especially important in finding somewhere to eat. Food and alcohol tend to be one of the funner ways in which a culture is different. For me, I loved trying all the different types of Spanish food and alcohol.

3. Local friendship: Many American students fall into a common trap with international students: they tend to form friendships with people like them, from their own country, and with people who speak their native languages. For me personally, he language aspect is rather important. I will be going to Spain to study Spanish as will as many other things. While meeting other English-speakers is inevitable, I will attempt to make local friends that will make me speak Spanish.

4. School clubs: Local friendships could express themselves in form of school clubs. These organizations will give me the option to meet and coordinate with local students.

5. Clothing: Spain has very formal and particular style. A great way to stand out in Spain is dress in shorts and flip flops like a tourist. Not many Spaniards are found of foreign tourists. A great way to fit in is dress like the Spanish dress.


No comments:

Post a Comment