Wednesday, February 15, 2017

GOALS BAYBAY!!

Italy Aspirations!!!
 
             Woah nelly, do I have a million plans. To outline the big picture, my study abroad experience will finalize my degree. Since my return home means "Hello giant, scary world that expects me to be an independent adult with insurance and an understanding of taxes!", I am going to milk this international experience for all it's worth. Oh...the food, the people (Italian boys *wink*) , and don't get me started on the incredible art history!
If we're talking feelings, I'm torn between being embarrassed for needing an extra semester to finish while all of my friends are preparing for grad school and feeling pretentious at the fact that I'm essentially complaining when I've been given the opportunity to see the world!
 
- I plan to make some connections in the art field by presenting my portfolio to galleries, freelance artists, and to potential employers. The ultimate achievement would be to get one of my own pieces into an Italian Modern Art gallery or get commissioned for work! (My resume just weeps thinking about it.)
- Hearing peers gush about their traveling experiences beyond their host institution has convinced me that I have to take advantage of the cheap travel fare within Europe and experience other countries during weekends/breaks.
- I will say yes to more and be involved and learn to adapt in situations outside my comfort zone (cliché, but true) for the pursuit of adventure!! (Ex: Italian clubbing, putting my art out there to big-name galleries, etc. = sounds terrifying and has potential to be dang embarrassing, but I won't nock it 'til I try it!)
- Who doesn't want to make meaningful relationships while abroad? I want to learn and bond with people from all walks of life!
- I'd love to gain a better grasp on independent living and not crack under pressure.
- Before I leave: make bad-to-the-bone art for my portfolio.
  While I'm there: make, visit, and exchange bad-to-the-bone art.
  When I leave: know some bad-to-the-bone artists, and understand the career field better.
 
I feel like even the most bold, devil-may-care people have to suppress intimidation in foreign territory. (Figuratively and literally speaking.) I was recently made aware by a student, who recently studied at the same University I applied to, that Milan life is similar to New York City. I don't know why it came as such a shock to me, because I've always known it as a metropolis and one of the chief fashion capitals of the world. However, the Italy that I've studied for years in the arts has been classic villas, rolling hills with vineyards, and intricate cathedrals with even more intricate murals. Either way, I am beyond giddy to experience both, but I realized how much we glorify places and people. I just don't want to over-romanticize the experience and be disappointed with unrealistic expectations. I don't know what to expect and need to realize that it's up to me to make it fun. Sheesh, I overthink everything. I hope this is going well. I wasn't sure how formal we had to be in these, but I'm going full blown diary.
 
Worries: woah nelly again, do I have a million. I worry about finances (abroad or not), making meaningful friendships, navigating, and balancing school with fun. I think the trick to avoid these becoming a reality is to not worry and speak positivity into existence with hard work and enthusiasm. Cheesey.... I know, but I'm banking on that working. 



No comments:

Post a Comment