Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Climbing the wall to México: Goals for Study Abroad

Goals for studying abroad in Puebla, México:

  • Eat:
    • Mexican food is heaven on earth and I plan to be on cloud nine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for four months
    • If I have a homestay, help cook dinner and learn about the culture of food in Mexico
    • Discover the regional foods specific to the area I'm studying in
    • Go to local festivals and volunteer in the community. Mexico is ranked the happiest country in the world and I want to know why (besides the food).
  • Learn:
    • Find every possible pin related to Mexico on pinterest and add it to my Puebla board
    • Get experience with traveling abroad, buying international plane tickets, applying for a student visa
    • Take classes that contribute to my major and expand my understanding of Mexican education 
    • Take classes related to Mexican politics and social structure
    • Volunteer in the community and interact with as many locals as possible
  • Speak:
    • However unrealistic, I want to be as close to fluency in Spanish as possible when I come back
    • Order enchiladas at El Jimador in Spanish and feel more than lista for living in a Spanish-speaking country
    • Gain courage and experience with using another language with native speakers
    • Take an academic class taught in Spanish and don't fail
    • Bring my language skills back to the US and be able to share my experience with other Spanish speakers
    • Dig deeper into the social and political relationships between Mexico and the US, Mexico and the world
    • Be able to put bilingual on a resume
  • Share:
    • Be able to share with others why I feel like a study abroad experience is crucial for both my major and being global citizen 
    • Convince my parents I'm not just studying abroad in Puebla, Mexico because I have a Mexican boyfriend
    • Make friends internationally that I can keep for a lifetime
    • Bring back a deeper understanding of latino culture (specifically in Mexico) and share it with other Americans who might have predetermined prejudices, fears or myths regarding Mexicans and latinos
    • Encourage students, family and friends to travel and see the world by posting pictures and telling stories
  • Stay calm and carry on:
    • Culture shock is inevitable, but my goal is to be able to adapt to living in a new city and culture abroad and enjoy my time there to the fullest
    • Budget, don't spend too much money (unless it's on food)
    • Keep in touch with people back home so they don't worry too much, but I'm sure they will anyway
    • Travel to central America, Mexico City, Veracruz and the Yucatan Peninsula (if possible)
  • Senior Study
    • Conduct interviews and firsthand research of microfinance lending in the state of Puebla for senior study


No comments:

Post a Comment