Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The Purpose of Going Abroad

The primary purpose for going abroad is to have an experience. Experience another country, experience another culture, experience being on your own. Studying abroad is a great opportunity to not only travel but also learn. You may learn a lot by going on a vacation somewhere you have never been before, but when the objective is to gain something academically or professionally, you are almost guaranteed to learn something you add to your professional and academic career. You could also learn something about yourself.

My goal for going abroad for an internship is to learn. I want to gain skills for my chosen career path and apply what I know in a professional environment. I could do this with an internship at home, but going abroad pushes you a bit further. It would challenge me by forcing me outside of my comfort zone.

I will not only have the task of completing the work or jobs assigned to me by my site supervisor but also adapt and interact with those who live in a different cultural context. Along with learning from them, I will be teaching them and acting as a representative for those who share my cultural background. That could include my nationality, ethnicity, race, or socioeconomic status. Regardless of what population I am perceived to be a part of, I will be an ambassador. As uncomfortable as they may be for me, this will challenge me to be a voice for a larger group of people.

My goal for interning abroad is not only to gain skills for a career but also be a student, a teacher, and become a more well-rounded individual. It is possible that I may have some abilities that I am not aware of and this experience can bring them to light.

No comments:

Post a Comment