Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Studying Abroad: My Expectations

The excitement I have for studying abroad is almost overshadowed by the pure curiosity and wonder that I have for my future endeavors. There's a feeling in my gut that everything unexpected will happen, and it only creates an oxymoron of happy anxiety for what I will endure. 
I want to submerge in the culture that will be provided to me. As minuscule as it may seem, I have a goal to eat every food that is a common experience wherever I go. No meat, no mix, and no feast will be able to stop my hunger for traditions and culture. 
I have an idea of who I want to be while away; I want to create an image of myself that will only belong in a foreign land. Someone who goes out of her way to say "yes" to every experience, and come back with a plethora of stories to tell anyone willing to listen. That is a part of me I have never been able to show in my local home, seeing as I have already done what is to be done and experienced what I am capable of experiencing. The prospect of experiencing new routines and adventures is something that lays within the forefront of my mind. 
One thing that I am conveniently excited about is the prospect of learning everything I can learn while attending my abroad institution. While I love Maryville College, I have no doubt that I will approve of my final year of college being strictly abroad. I cannot begin to imagine the knowledge of society and communications that I will bring from a different environment that will further benefit my scholarly imagination.
One of the few fears I have for this "pilgrimage" is that I will accept and love my abroad home so much that I will despise my departure. (As cheesy as that sounds, it rings true). I want this experience to open up multiple doors for my career and interests, and possibly welcome me as a permanent resident if I do find connections worthy of my staying or coming back.
While all of my emotions run wild, I still have the privilege to learn about my home away from home. When I am informed of where I am staying, I will go into great depths to study the ins-and-outs of wherever I am meant to be. This means I will learn the culture that will surround me, the basics of political views and morals, and the history of the land where my feet temporarily reside. The understanding of the world you will be in is just as crucial as truly being there. 
The biggest advantage of studying abroad is what I will bring back with me; Not only what I learned while attending classes, but what I learned from interactions, relationships, and adventures. I want a stable idea of where I want to be in life, and if I have to travel to another country to answer that question, I will gladly take that path.

No comments:

Post a Comment