Wednesday, September 25, 2013

An American abroad

As weeks are going by, I keep counting down on how many more days I have to go. The level of excitement is increasing at somewhat the same rate as the level of nervousness. But, Oh well, I know that it will all be fine in the end. I have been fortunate enough to have traveled to other countries before, and each experience in those countries have been unique and life-changing; therefore, I am looking forward to make this trip to France memorable as well.

By taking these cultural inventories, I am getting to learn more about myself, my values, and my character. This is helping me to know what to expect when I go abroad and learn ahead of time how I will cope with it. I already have some insights that will help me to understand the french culture. I am more of a listener, and I like to observe people and what they do. This helps me to have an internal understanding of why people do what they do and how they do it, which in return makes it easier for me to adapt myself to a new culture. I also like being involved and always doing something; therefore, this will help me to get out there and participate in activities and clubs that will help me make friends and familiarize myself with the French way of living. I refrain myself to be judgmental or to make assumption about other people because I like to know why people do what they do before I give my opinion. I am very open to new challenges, and this is why I hope that once I get to France, I will try to do stuff locally so that I may deepen my understanding of their culture. I like to talk to people and start having conversations with them. I also expect people to ask me more about Rwanda and my native culture, and I will definitely be open to tell them more about it and educate them about my own culture as well.

Furthermore, I like to think of myself as independent. Growing up, my parents challenged me to go above and beyond to make sure that I do everything and give my best. They taught me to always know that whatever I tell myself to do, I can do it. I was also taught that whatever I decide do not always affect only me. I love being aware of who I work with and always try to cooperate for the better of both of us. I am also flexible; I don't freak out when things don't go as I expect them to. I also care about the relationships that I make, so I am looking forward to make long lasting relationship with some people that I will meet while studying abroad. Without that being said, I will always make sure that I keep in touch with my family and friends back here and update them on what is going on with me.

I have my own culture that I will bring abroad with me, and I want to teach people more about the traditions that we have. I want to teach them how to cook Rwandan meal and how to dance traditionally. Many westerners know Rwanda because of what they read or heard, so I want to teach and show them a new face of Rwanda. As I am writing this blog, I am getting very excited, and I can't wait to actually be there and make all this happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment