Tuesday, September 3, 2013

TYLER: GOAL-SETTING & MAXIMIZING MY EXPERIENCE IN THAILAND


by Tyler Jones

Goals and personal agenda
Obviously, getting to study abroad is an immeasurably ambitious venture. So I think it’s fitting that I should have some pretty ambitious goals while I’m abroad. One goal is to get involved with helping Thai children learn English. On the ISEP website, it mentions that there is an option to do that. I’m not sure if it’ll be offered when I’m there, but I think it would be a brilliant way to get more involved with the culture in a really intimate way. As well, I think it would be great to help people.

As well, I would definitely love to explore possible thesis options. At this point, I don’t have anything set in stone, but I think it would be interesting to explore the way in which British Colonialism affected Buddhism. As well, I think it would be pretty interesting to research the ways in which Thai Buddhism differs from Buddhism of other parts of the world.

Feelings about impending journey

I think my feelings are definitely an amalgamation of extreme nervousness and hopeful excitement. There are so many things to prepare for and it’s definitely becoming increasingly stressful. As well, I’m pretty nervous about connecting with people whenever I get over there. I’m trying to mentally prepare for the immense amount of loneliness that I’m anticipating on feeling. I have a feeling, based on what everyone who has studied abroad has told me, that it will actually be pretty easy to make friends once I get there because everyone will be in the same boat that I am, but it’s the anticipation that is killing me. I just want to get over there and experience it. The simple fact of waiting is causing me to think more and more about things going wrong or feeling vast amounts of homesickness. But on top of all of my worries, I’m definitely hopeful and optimistic that everything will work out and I will have a beautifully enriching and earthshattering experience.

3 things to maximize my experience
1.  I want to start learning basic Thai phrases before I leave so I at least have a minimal understanding of their language in the hopes to be able to maneuver around the city and interact with people, even if I’m by no means a master of the language.

2.  I want to go in with a clear, open mind and try to understand that things could go absolutely opposite to what I’m anticipating. I feel that if I go in with a clear mind then I will be better equipped to dealing with strange and unfamiliar scenarios.

3.  Finally, I want to completely open myself up to people. I want to be an open book to all of these new people that I meet. I want them to know exactly who I am in a short amount of time. I don’t want to put up any barriers. If I want them to trust me and welcome me and enjoy me, I feel like I need to open myself up entirely. I feel like people respond better to that…..hopefully….it’s worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment