Tuesday, September 3, 2013

MARY BETH: GOAL-SETTING & MAXIMIZING MY EXPERIENCE IN SCOTLAND

by Mary Beth Spitler

After many long hours of filling out forms, researching universities and cultures, I am only a semester away from studying abroad in the great city of Edinburgh at Napier University. Hooray! My studying experience will take me over-seas for about six months. While I am there, I can't wait to meet and make lots of new friends. While I know that skype and modern social media websites makes it simple and fast to communicate with people all over the world, I am a little hesitant about being away from my web of family and friends for such a long time. 

Personally, I have already made a few goals for myself for when I am living in Scotland. I want to use the University of Edinburgh as a stepping stone between studying abroad and completing my bachelor's degree. The classes that Napier offers all comply with my major-which is fantastic as I will have a year left at Maryville College when I return home.

Right now, since I have a few more months between when I will depart for my journey, I feel very excited-but stressed at the same time.  I realize that I still have a lot of research and learning to do still on topics that range from how to catch a train (I've never ridden one before!) to where to eat and shop to what the in-the-classroom standards are for students who are attending the university.

Three goals that I have set for myself that I want to accomplish before I go are:

1) Try every type of food available.
I usually am not one to jump into new dishes when I go out to eat, especially when blood pudding is involved!


2) Meet lots of new people. Everyone says that you really haven't experienced a place until you get to know the locals.

3) Have a great time!

I know that I will have many opportunities that are not offered to me in the US while I am studying abroad. I want to make the best of my time there by making spontaneous, fun, and safe decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment