Wednesday, September 25, 2013

An American Abroad



It seems most evident to me that my strengths lie within my ability to spark a conversation with just about anyone. I like to think that I’m approachable myself and so I can keep a conversation with someone else. I also think that I’m a very patient person, so I think that will help me as I become adjusted to the culture. However, I do think that due to the drastic change in culture, I will have an understandably tougher time trying to connect with people. As well, I’m terrified by the language barrier. I understand that a lot of Thai people speak English, but the context in which we understand each other will be drastically different, so I anxiously anticipate the difficulties that will come along with trying to overcome these linguistic barriers.

As for being American, I would like to make a point to show that our sense of freedom and nationality is not as detrimental as foreign countries think that it is. It seems there is an air of arrogance that is usually associated with Americans, so I would like to debunk that falsity. At least, explain that not all Americans are like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment