Tuesday, September 3, 2013

WHITNEY: GOAL-SETTING & MAXIMIZING MY EXPERIENCE IN JAPAN


by Whitney Bowers

I’ve been to the area that I’m planning to go to for my study abroad experience. I really wanted to put my Japanese to the test, so I saved and saved at my part-time job until I had enough to experience Sapporo, Japan, for two weeks. I already had friends in this area that I met while they were studying abroad at MC, but I also made a good number of new friends in this short stay. I feel that my comprehension and use of Japanese became much better in those two weeks, simply by being surrounded by native speakers. I hope that a semester abroad will help my Japanese skills improve even further.

I’m really excited to see old friends again, but this time in their home and in their language. I also really enjoyed the city of Sapporo and the experience of Japan as a whole. However, I’m incredibly nervous about having a host family. While I feel that it will be great for my Japanese, I am nervous about living with people that I’ve never met, in a foreign country and tongue, no less. But I have hopes that these fears will dissipate after I arrive. I am also nervous about communication problems, but I believe that this problem will become easier with time in the country.

To maximize my experience, I want to:

1.) Use as little English as possible. This may be hard to do considering the amount of Japanese students that study English, but I will try to stick to only Japanese unless specifically asked.

2.) Study hard! I worked harder on my Japanese language courses than any other course since arriving at MC, and I want to continue to improve. If I do not continue to study, I know that what I have worked so hard to acquire will begin to escape me.

3.) Socialize. I’ve always been terribly shy about using Japanese with native speakers for fear of making a mistake. I know that if I want to improve, I need more experience communicating with native speakers, so I hope I can overcome this while I’m abroad. If I could become friends with Japanese students in their native language, I would be very happy.

View of Odori Park from the Sapporo T.V. Tower (Sapporo, Japan)

 The famous symbol of Sapporo, The Clock Tower (Sapporo, Japan)


No comments:

Post a Comment