Wednesday, September 25, 2013

EMMA: AN "AMERICAN" ABROAD

I have strengths when it comes to communication and people skills, but I have never used them to introduce myself into and to adapt to a new cultural setting. The closest experience I have to this is working with two Hispanic men who spoke very limited English. We took care of 18 horses together, which is no easy under taking, and they were new to horse care so I had to help them. When I communicated with them I tried to avoid using contractions, I spoke slowly, and I did a lot of pointing an gesturing. I also learned a few Spanish words. Most of the time we were able to understand each other. In this experience, though, these men were adapting to American culture and the American work place and I was just helping them make the adjustment.

I believe I can use my communication and people skills to help myself adapt to culture in the United Arab Emirates. I will try to be respectful and open minded. As an American female I know that I will be viewed much differently than I am here. There are also tensions between America and the Middle East. While the UAE may not have the same view of Americans that other Middle Eastern countries with more American involvement have, I still want to make it clear that I am there to learn and not to pass any judgment.

Strategies for "being an American" abroad:

- get involved in campus groups and activities
- travel as much as I am able
- stay in touch with family and friends and tell them about my adventures and learning experiences
- be respectful of new cultural differences and keep an open mind
- find an outlet where I can express any feelings of homesickness and culture shock in a constructive way

No comments:

Post a Comment