Tuesday, September 3, 2013

BEN: GOAL-SETTING & MAXIMIZING MY EXPERIENCE IN COSTA RICA



by Ben Munger

When I submitted my application to study abroad way back in April, I couldn’t believe that I would have to wait until some time in September to find out where I would be spending my spring semester. One unbelievably fast summer later, I’ve found myself in September and enrolled in a class that helps me prepare for when I study in another country— not if, but when. Now that it’s hitting me that there’s a good chance that this is going to happen, I’ve been thinking about what I want to come away with from this experience.

One of the goals that I have while I’m abroad is to truly understand a different culture. I don’t want to just see it as a knowledgable tourist, but I want to live it and be a temporary part of it. While I still don’t know where in Latin America I’ll be going, I know that I’m going to take full advantage of the geography of the area. Whether it’s mountains, oceans, rivers, or all three, I really want to make sure I take full advantage of what the area has to offer.

Latin America has so much to offer that, even if I don’t want to, I’m going to learn more than I even realize. Before I go, I really want to understand the things that the world focuses on in whichever country I end up in. I hope to get a good understanding of what I’m getting into so that I won’t be completely surprised by everything. While I’m there, I hope to learn how things really are in that country compared to how they appear from the outside. If I can accomplish this, I’ll be able to learn how a country can appear on the outside compared to how it really is to its inhabitants.

In order to truly maximize my experience, I want to make sure I do 3 things. First, I want to say yes to everything possible (within reason). I want to know that I don’t miss out on any opportunities because of fear or nervousness. Second, I really have a desire to meet people more frequently than I do here in the US. If I interact with a lot of new people on a regular basis, I think my chances of getting a full taste of the culture will be much better. Last, I really hope to have as little time sitting still as possible. While I’ll certainly be tired and worn out at times, I’m only going to be abroad for one semester. I also don’t know when or if I’ll ever be able to go back. As a result, I plan on forcing myself to take advantage of my free time by enjoying things that I can’t enjoy here in the US.

It still hasn’t really hit me that I’ll be in another country for an entire semester, but its hard for me to focus on anything except my placement right now. At some point in the next four weeks I’ll find out where I’m going. At this point, I’m having a hard time looking at anything past my location. I can’t help but be excited and nervous all at the same time. While I have already started the study abroad process, in my eyes the experience won’t truly begin until I know where my foreign home will by for the next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment