Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Blog 3 - Mackenzie Yaksic

Thankfully for me, the educational atmosphere of Chile is similar to that of America. The two educational systems are most similar in the credits and hours required for courses. There are just minimal differences, but for the most part, the systems are generally comparable.
One  major similarity is the general flow of the semester. Although the semesters are flip flopped (our first semester in the Fall is their second semester. Our second semester in the Spring is their first semester), the flow of the semester seems similar. They have the same examination period at the end of the semester, and they also have the benchmark testing periods like we do here at Maryville.
The classroom culture has both similarities and differences. The university itself is a lot larger, so I expect there to be more students per classroom. But, the culture of the classroom is very similar here. I know that professors and faculty know and care about students on a personal level, like here at Maryville, and that is something I am most looking forward to. One of the main reasons I chose to come here to Maryville was the reputation that the school had in the classrooms. I thrive in smaller, hands-on experiences, so I am glad that a portion of that aspect will be translated over to Chile.
The credits' worth is comparable to that of the US. What courses I am taking in Chile are all generally worth about 4 credits. Those classes will be transferred to Maryville as 3-credit courses. I did not find specific information about the workload required of students in Chile, but with all of the other academic similarities, I expect the workload to be comprable.
The number of credit hours necessary to be a full-time students at Maryville is 12, but I could not find exact information of the minimal requirements to be a full-time student at PUCV. However, I have signed up for a myriad of classes and am confident not to fall under whatever the minimal requirements are for my university. The credits will hopefully transfer to an equivalent of 16 hours here at Maryville.
Something I was happy to discover was that there are classes that are specifically for international students. I like this, because I am hoping to have a few classes with the same students in order to generate lasting relationships and a niche while abroad. One major disconnect from many Latin American countries to America is that of four-year plans. Where we have a lot of space to choose what courses we want to take, many universities in Latin America have more rigid schedules. Any number of students in one discipline are expected to take most, if not all, of their courses together throughout the four years. This, I'm sure, will create many small tightly knit groups, and I am apprehensive about fitting in with other students at the university.


No comments:

Post a Comment