Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Blog 4

Research can tell you a lot but there is nothing like a hands on experience. I have researched about the culture of Spain and the way life is and I have even talked to my friend Marcos. Thinking about being in a whole new country can be nerve raking when you think about it all at once. Breaking it down eases my stress. Through ISEP I’ve made a friend from America and her name is Kenna. So when I get to Spain I won’t be all alone. Meeting new people isn’t something that make me nervous. It’s actually one of my favorite things to do. My Coach once told me that I’ve never met a stranger and I think that’s true. I plan to talk to the people in my class and hopefully find someone from Tarragona. I hope to make local friends who can show me the around the area and teach me the slang and show me all the fun stuff around town.
To me living like a local means being an active part of the community or at least your school. This is important because I feel like if you don’t at least try to live like a local you’re missing out on a lot of the experience. It’s kind of like reading a book to complete an assignment not for a deeper understanding and meaning of it.  I think my day will start with classes and homework, siesta around 2-5, work on any remaining homework, eat dinner and then explore and have fun with my friends. Some weekends I hope to be able to travel around the country.
I think that because I am fluent in Spanish and I know a lot of about the country that will help with the culture shock. I moved from Columbus Ohio to Tennessee in the ninth grade and that experience was really hard for me. However, I have learned from that experience and know some things that I can do and not to make this trip a great experience. First and foremost I think that you’re attitude towards a situation greatly impacts the outcome. I am excited about going and want to be there and have a good time. Life is what you make it and I plan to have a good time. I know what it’s like to be homesick and how to handle that as well. Keep in touch with those you miss as much as you can. I think by the time I start to miss anymore too much that it will almost be time for me to come back to America. It is also important to document and express your feelings, which I plan to do with my blog.

I think at first the adjustment might be a little staling, but I think that if I really try and I get out and make an effort that I will find that I will have a very successful trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment