Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Nate Long Blog 4


Blog 4

I feel that I am an overall introverted person so when I go abroad I feel that really getting involved in other cultures with other people may be difficult for me.  One of the first ways that I plan on getting involved is soccer.  Whether that means me joining an actual team or just playing some pickup soccer with some people I meet I feel that this will be a good way for me to meet people and develop friendships since I already do it here.  Building on that, I have always imagined “living like a local” to mean more about the people that you hang out with than anything else.  For example, using soccer I hope it gives me Spanish friends who I can get to know and they can show me all about their town and country, especially from their perspectives as locals.  At my specific school I know no other real ways to get involved other than opportunities I can create myself or become involved in.  I believe the making local friends part, other than those I hope to gain from soccer, will come largely from participating in community events put on both by my school and community.  Day to day, I hope that I will have classes get done as early as possible, and spend the rest of my days playing soccer, studying and hanging out with new friends.  On the weekends I hope to travel as much as possible, both inside and outside of the country.  By getting involved in soccer and other activities I hope to make friends that are locals and can show me how they see things.  Lastly, in order to ease the transition into another culture am going to try to keep as many things as possible similar to how I do here.  For example, I regularly talk to my family and friends in other places and play soccer, while abroad I hope to still be able to do all of those so that it isn’t like absolutely everything in my life is completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment