Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Culture as Relative Realities

I would like to first set up a quick framework of methodological approach, in the participation of intercultural competency, to properly put into perspective my goals for immersion and cross-cultural interactions. To me, study abroad, but really any form of interaction with "outsiders", is where being a religious studies major comes in handy. The last 50 years of religious studies, in the academy, has been centered around debates of how we study religion. So, to put very simply, studiers of religion can be broken down into reductionists and non-reductionists. Reductionists believe that when studying "religion" there is ultimately some kind of "essence" it can be broken down into (i.e. the Sacred, psychological dependence, etc). But, the non-reductionist critique of this approach is that reducing religion or traditions down to one thing or "essence" means 1) you may be missing many pieces to the puzzle, and 2) you are really only approaching others from your own subjective frame of cultural reference. The reason I mention this school of thought is to point out I think this approach is helpful when not just thinking about religion, but culture, which are by no means mutually exclusive. I consider myself a non-reductionist. Non-reductionists main tool in studying religion and culture is through what is called narrative theory, or the dialogical approach. The main thing to keep in mind is that the goal of intercultural competency is not to assimilate or deject something altogether, but rather to better understand. Everyone has their own narrative based on background, culture, history, and that is an inter-subjective reality that no one else can fully embody or live, so all we can do is dialogically and openly cross-cultures and cross narratives to better understand. That being said, I plan to get involved with many different activities and organizations on campus and in Eichstätt. Being in Germany during the summertime will be perfect for meeting fellow bikers, hikers, and outdoor adventurists. I hope to get specifically involved in a cycling club, whether that be on campus or in Eichstätt. This will be great for interacted with all sorts of people, but also an easy means for traveling around and see as much as I can. While I am not particularly religious myself, I want to see what types of religious organizations are available on campus, or maybe even see about a philosophy club. At least in these places I can hope for very open discussion and terminology that I am used to. I suppose "living like a local" is something I will have to see when I get there. But, I assume that will mean, hoping I make German friends, eating at the proper local cuisine, studying at the local cafe, and trying to live in accordance to the cultural norms. While my three main cross-cultural references, I think, will be cycling, religion, and academics I know that even smaller nuances of culture will seep in through day-to-day life and interactions. That is probably what I am most excited for. But, when that culture shock does set in, I will most definitely call my mom or dad. Conversations with them always make me feel sane. I imagine I will also turn to writing, whether that be letters to friends or family, or in my journal. But, ultimately, what I hope to gain from it all is a better understanding of myself, and the people I come into contact with. So, I can ultimately offer my own interpretation, or narrative to the larger world.

No comments:

Post a Comment