Wednesday, February 11, 2015

An American abroad 
First long term experience abroad
Learning about a new culture is always exciting, but it is also very scary. This is especially true when immersed in that culture. I am very apprehensive about staying in France for over six weeks without having much previous knowledge of the language or culture. However, I do have some strengths that will help me. I have experience with other cultures. I have traveled around the United States and seen the cultural differences between big city and small town living. I have seen what life is like on the coast versus near the mountains. I have been to the west coast and also the northeast. Although these places all spoke the same language, belonged to the same country, and had many of the same values, I noticed distinct cultural differences in each and was able to adapt and learn about each one.
Besides America, I have also been immersed in cultures that are very different from mine. Although my stay in other countries has not been as extensive as the one this summer will be, I have gained some skills that will help me adjust to life in France. When I visited Spanish speaking countries, I knew very little of the language-maybe enough to order dinner. Because I was oblivious to what most natives were talking about, I felt frustrated and discouraged.
Not knowing the language makes communicating very difficult even though it is very necessary. However, my language skills only increased with the time I spent in the Spanish speaking country so I have seen the improvement just a little time can make. For this summer, time will not be the only reason my language skills will increase. I will be reinforced everyday by the instruction on French. I hope the skills I learn in class will easily transfer to life outside the classroom and all over France. Exploring the town, city, or countryside will automatically help me pick up even more of the language just from menus, sighs, and speaking with people.
In France, I will not just be exploring the new land, but I will also be studying the language. Hopefully in the first few days, the instruction in French will make me more optimistic about learning the language. I plan on focusing on my studies very much throughout my stay. Every bit of French I learn will make all the rest of the parts of my time in France more enriched. I hope to be able to communicate with French speaking students at the University if only in short simple sentences. I also want to be able to read some of the basic signs around town or in Paris. I have seen small improvements in myself when it comes to adapting to a new culture and learning a new language so I am very optimistic about immersing myself in this new culture.

Americans are sometimes looked down upon in Europe because we are seen as lazy to other countries because of not trying to learn the language when we travel or expecting everyone else to use English. However, I want to challenge this stereotype. I plan on studying very hard to learn as much French as I can in six weeks. I will try to limit my English when in France and rely on the class and my peers to help implement the use of French in every communication situation. I want to show other French students at the University that Americans can adapt to French culture and can learn the language. At the university, I hope to make some new friends from all over the world and teach them about simple parts of American culture that I may not realize are so unique. Many Europeans are bilingual already, so some people there may know English. However, if they are not fluent or have never been to an English speaking country, I can see the small differences in dialect within my own first language. I would love to see the differences from the European perspective and the American perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment