Wednesday, February 4, 2015

France

     France plays a huge role in some of my first memories as a child. The house I grew up in was right across the street from a family who had moved to Tennessee from their native country-France. I befriended David, the family's youngest son. We were childhood playmates and he even taught me a few phrases in French. The summer before they moved back, after only a few years of life in America, my family decided to go with them. We traveled to the small town they lived in  right outside of Paris. David and I were inseparable as he taught me more French words and explored castles with my family and me.
     Although I was very young, I remember those two weeks as two of the most eye opening and amazing weeks of my life. I remember so much about Paris, but mostly the smells of the city and the grandeur of the Eiffel Tower. I fell in love with the small bits of French culture I observed. Now, I want to not only observe French culture, but become a part of it this summer. And what better way than to learn the language, eat the food, and befriend the people of France?
     Besides the short visit to France and David's limited vocabulary, I have no experience with the French language. I am starting as a true beginner. Despite this truth, I plan to leave the summer program with some French language skills. Because I have every opportunity to speak whatever French I learn in the classroom I am hopeful that I will get the most out of any instruction.  I am very serious about learning a new language well enough to have full and unlimited conversations. This summer will be an excellent way to start off with French.
     Hopefully,  increasing my French skills will allow me to converse with native French speakers in the town I visit. I hope to make long lasting friends who I can visit later in life or friends who can visit me back in Tennessee. After all, I will need friends to practice my French with.
     On the weekends, I want to see it all. I plan on taking the train to Paris more than once and seeing the city that inspired my language choice after all this time. I want to relive the smells and sights, but I also want to see new parts of the huge city. Maybe I'll even visit the city outside of Paris where my old neighbors still live. And who knows? Maybe I'll run in to David on the way there, not that I would recognize him.
     Overall I want to truly understand the language, meet new people forming long lasting relationships, and travel all over France and surrounding countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment