Friday, February 6, 2015

Diving In

I'm a researcher. I don't do anything without first extensively researching it. Picking out a printer took over a week of comparisons between inkjet, laserjet, multicolored or individual cartridges, etc. Needless to say, I'm not an impulsive person. So going into studying abroad, I've done my fair share of research. I can tell you where you'll find the best theatre in England and the most historical landmarks in Greece. Yet despite all this gathered knowledge, I have never actually been abroad. My sister is the exact opposite. She dives head first without looking to see if she's in the shallow end. She has been abroad four times now, visiting half a dozen countries. She currently lives in London, England while completing her Graduate Degree. So why is it that the sister who doesn't even know what countries support her bank is the sister that has seen more countries than I possibly ever will?

Fear. A whole lot of fear. And realism. With all this research, I can't help but say, "realistically it's not affordable to backpack across the Himalayas." But I'm conquering that fear. And I'm using my research to think positively about how the Hell I'm going to get to Prague and back. I'm ready to be a true International Business major with international experience! It's about time.

While I'm over there, I'm hoping to accomplish a lot. Mostly I'm hoping to get a glimpse at theatre in Europe. Europe's theatre is on a completely different level from ours. It's more modern, more eccentric. Our theatres seem archaic to them. And musicals? Some Englanders have never heard of them. The summer I will be in Prague will be the summer that the city hosts one of the largest Theatre Festivals in Europe. It only happens once every four years so this is divine intervention that I have made my path to Prague just at the right time. Through CEA and the Anglo-American University, I will be paired with an internship that fits my interests. It is my dream that I will end up with an internship involving this theatre festival.

So this is it. I'm taking the plunge. The water is deep, but I know how to swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment